If you have been following me for some time, you know that I am quite the Star Wars fan. That might be an understatement given that I’m typing this post while wearing a onesie adorned with Dark Side icons, complete with pink Star Wars logos – just in case you have been living under a rock and don’t know who Darth Vader is. Yes, and I am drinking coffee out of my beloved R2D2 mug, but I decided to skip the Dark Roast Darth Vader themed coffee and instead opted for a homemade Peppermint Mocha – organic, dairy free, and delicious – just how I like it.
But, I am not your basic fan girl. Unlike many new fans that have jumped on the fan bandwagon since the recent It’s-Cool-To-Be-A-Nerd movement (which I think is awesome BTW), I have loved watching the characters since my parents first introduced me to the series as a small child. That being said, you can imagine how BEYOND excited I am that the new movie, The Force Awakens, makes it debut next week in theaters. You bet I bought tickets for opening night. Can’t. Hardly. Wait.
To celebrate the joyous and very rare new release, I automatically think of baking a cake. It is baking seasonal after all and every celebration deserves some type of cake or delicious something. But then, it is the most wonderful (and the busiest) time of the year so why not make something that is simple to make, easy to share, and packed with a few of my favorite ingredients. Then the idea came to me…
Quick and Easy
Vegan (aka egg and dairy free)
SO. MUCH. YES! Why not make a cookie that everyone can enjoy?! If you have seen my Yoda-Shaped Jalapeno Guacamole recipe, you already know that I love making my favorite characters into fun edibles.
And how can you not LOVE Chewy?! This is a cookie that I absolutely LOVE, has been tested and approved by Gluten-eating Non-Vegans (Official ILoveFlavor taste testers a.k.a. office co-workers) and that your family and friends will surely enjoy.
So here it is! Watch the video with a special guest appearance by Princess Leia and get the printable recipe on how to make my No-Bake Easy Peanut Butter Cookies. I think Chewbacca would be proud. Enjoy!
- 1 cup rolled oats, gluten free
- ¼ cup almond flour (coconut flour or almonds in a food processor)
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, vegan
- ¾ cup peanut butter (almond butter or sunflower seed butter)
- ¼ cup maple syrup (or natural sweetener to taste)
- Icing: peanut butter and maple syrup
- Topping: unsweetened shredded coconut (optional), cocoa powder, vegan (optional), chocolate chips (dark chocolate vegan), 2 dates (pitted and sliced), unsweetened coconut flakes
- In a large bowl, add oats, flour, coconut, cocoa, peanut butter and maple syrup. Mix together until just combined. Add more peanut butter if mixture is too crumbly and until the mix forms a dough-like texture.
- Cover flat working space with parchment or wax paper. Roll dough into balls and one by one press into a gingerbread man cookie cutter. Lift up cookie cutter and continue forming cookies.
- Mix equal parts of peanut butter and maple syrup together to form icing. Spread on top of each cookie.
- Optional: Mix coconut flakes and cocoa together until flakes turn brown for Wookie "fur". Sprinkle and press into icing. OR use fork to create "fur" appearance and texture on the icing.
- Add 2 chocolate chips as "eyes", date slice as a "sash" or "belt", and coconut flake pieces with extra icing on date slice for decor.
- Serve OR store in refrigerator to chill until ready to enjoy.