Looking for an easy hummus recipe that is BETTER than store bought? This recipe is just for you!
I love Hummus. As a snack, appetizer to share, or quick meal when I’m on-the-go!
Unfortunately most Hummus recipes are packed with calories, hard to find or expensive ingredients like tahini (or sesame paste), and are more trouble than just grabbing a pre-made carton at the store. But, what are all of those weird ingredients on the nutrition label? Something had to be done.
So I went on a quest to create a homemade hummus recipe that fit all my needs:
5 ingredients or less
and most importantly, flavorful!
Seems like a tall order right? It was actually much easier than I imagined and after a few test trials I finally found the PERFECT hummus. This dream-come-true hummus fit all my wants, needs, and was even BETTER than what I had always brought home from the store!
This recipe only takes a few affordable ingredients, takes less than 5 minutes to make, and can be eaten immediately or chilled for a few hours until you are ready to serve and enjoy.
- 1 can (15 oz) Garbanzo beans, low sodium and organic
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon garlic power
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- (optional) vegetable stock, water, or liquid from beans
- (optional) cayenne pepper
- Drain beans.
- Add all ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth. If needed, add 2 tablespoons of liquid (vegetable stock, water, bean liquid) until mixture is smooth.
- Taste hummus and add additional spices or ingredients to taste or as desired.
- Scoop into serving dish or container. Add topping if desired, like sprinkling a dash of cayenne pepper.
- Enjoy immediately with veggies, chips, or favorite dipper or cover and chill for a few hours before serving.
Note: I try to use fresh, organic, vegan, gluten free, non-GMO ingredients as possible
Be sure to watch my recipe video to watch step-by-step how to make this simple and delicious hummus!
I personally like to enjoy hummus with:
- veggies like carrots, sliced mushrooms, or bell peppers
- baked chips that have been made with lentils, are gluten free, non-GMO, organic, and vegan
- rice crackers or chips
- almond or pecan crackers
- and other fun dippers!
The great thing about this recipe is that you can keep it quick and simple or add your favorite ingredients to made your OWN recipe!
- Roasted peppers
- Fresh Garlic
- Extra Lemon
- Pumpkin and Rosemary like the recipe I created for WineChannelTV.tv
- Substitute black beans for garbanzo beans and add chili powder
- and so much more!
After making hummus, you can dive in immediately or chill for a few hours before serving.
My easy hummus recipe is a snack that I make and enjoy weekly. I also love to create new versions to share as an appetizer with family, friends, and on Instagram. Be sure to follow me at @iloveflavor for daily recipes and tips!
I would love to hear from you if you enjoyed this recipe or created your own. Please comment below!